- Yield : 12
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 50m
- 1/2 c flour (I have used whole wheat pastry flour with no problems)
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 c oat bran or rolled oats (I like the rolled oats for the texture)
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 large, tart apples, peeled, cored and shredded
- 1 1/2 c carrots, finely shredded (shortcut: used pre-bagged kind)
- 1 c walnuts, chopped or flax seed meal
- 1/2 c raisins or other dried berry of your choice
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 c skim milk
- 1/4 c oil
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients (up to baking powder) and stir well.
Add apples, carrots, walnuts/flax, and dried fruit and stir to coat.
Make a large well in the center of the mixture.
In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, milk, and oil. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture and just until moistened.
Fill the muffin tins until they are about 3/4 full.
Place in oven for 18-20 minutes. If you are making mini-muffins, check them at 12 minutes and go about 3 minutes longer if necessary.