Quick Chicken Soup with Carrots, Beans and Chard2013-02-26
- Yield : 12 Cups
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 50m
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 to 8 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 4 to 5 medium carrots, cut into ¼” rounds
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 3 cups cooked white beans (or 2 14.5-ounce cans rinsed and drained)
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 head Swiss Chard, stems removed, cut into small pieces
Begin by placing the garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely chopped and add onion. Pulse a couple of times until until is just chopped.
Peel carrots and cut into ¼” rounds.
Remove stems from Chard and cut leaves into bite sized pieces.
Combine fresh thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns in a mesh spice ball, spice bag or unbleached cheesecloth bundle tied with twine and set aside.
Lastly, cut chicken breast up into small chunks.
Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil then garlic, onion and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes.
Add tomato paste, cubed chicken breast, kosher salt and spice ball. Stir until combined and continue cooking 3 to 4 minutes.
Add beans along with both chicken stock and water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occassionally.
Add swiss chard and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove soup from heat and use a tongs to remove spice ball (or bag or whatever) from soup. Discard. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Serve and Enjoy!