Warm Your Belly Bison Ragu2013-03-24
- Course: Dinner
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 60m
This bison ragu recipe will warm your belly on a cold evening. The ingredient list may look long but there are shortcuts to help move things along more quickly. Buy pre-cut veggies and this saves tons of time.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1.5 lbs ground bison (also could use ground veal or lamb)
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes (One with salt and one with no salt added)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Few sprigs of thyme
- Few sprigs of rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 t ground coriander
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t ground fennel or fennel seeds
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
- 1/2 t t red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 t salt (optional)
- 1 lb pappardelle pasta (or other wide noodle)
- Chopped fresh mint (if using lamb as your meat)
- Grated pecorino or parmesan cheese to taste
Heat olive oil in large non-stick pot over medium high heat. Add lamb to pot and break up as it cooks. When lamb is fully cooked, drain off excess liquid.
Add the carrots, onion, celery, and stir together. Cook until the veggies start to soften, about 2 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, stirring, and cook for another minute.
Add the red wine, stirring, and cook until it evaporates completely. Scrape off any bits that are sticking to the pot to prevent burning.
Add the canned tomatoes, broth and all seasonings. Reduce the heat to medium-low to simmer. Continue stirring to avoid burning. Simmer for about 30 - 45 minutes, or until almost all liquid evaporates. About 20-30 minutes in, I thicken ragu with mix of flour / water.
Serve with cooked pasta, mint and grated cheese.